Saturday, January 2, 2010

Learning My Letters

Do you know what lies underneath the keys on your computer's keyboard? Lex exposed the secrets under mine. We were quietly enjoying each other's company on the loveseat in our dining room when, boom, the front door opened. Lex levitated and leaped across my lap, dragging his paws across my keyboard and jerking out the power cord. Six plastic key tops flew -- a, w, u, i, o and j.

Eighteen months have passed. If my online banks have implemented multi-factor authentication as recommended by their regulators, this computer's keyboard definitely would help them identify my unique typing style. Did you know that's one of the technologies they use? Our typing is nearly as unique as our fingerprints.

A couple days ago the little rubber foot glued to the "a" came off. My left pinkie is gradually adjusting. I wonder if the banks will start asking security questions all over again. Gosh, what is my favorite color?

Virginia says, "There's a suggestion if you don't want friends borrowing your computer -- like the old beds you offer overnight guests, remove a few key caps."

What's she talking about? I wouldn't do that.

1 comment:

  1. Mary Pannabecker SteinerJanuary 3, 2010 at 4:40 PM

    I know what's under my keys...crumbs and assorted crap. :)

    ReplyDelete