Saturday, July 10, 2010

Super Rich

After what seemed like endless limbo, some of my watermelon seedlings got the urge to grow.  I wonder if there's still time for them to produce before the first frost.
A couple weeks ago I suddenly remembered we have hoses and a pump near the garden.  Mother Nature also began to chip in two nights ago.  These Georgia candy roasters look grateful.
Here's a sister squash, a late-blooming butternut.
"Enough with the squash," says Virginia.  "Don't you have something foreign?"

How about Chinese? 
These Chinese "yard-long" green beans offer two advantages: (1) one bean is equivalent to five or more regular-sized green beans; and (2) I don't have to bend over to pick them.

For another "foreign" project, a cellist friend from the Eastern Shore sent me several of her pomegranates.  I planted the seeds in a big pot in my greenhouse last Fall, then waited and waited, faithfully watering a couple gallons of dirt.  Finally, in late Spring, green appeared.  Weeds?  I don't know for absolute sure, but I transplanted them anyway, into smaller pots filled with super-rich soil donated by a friend.  Thank you, Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment