Saturday, October 23, 2010

Buying Time

I'd like a few extra hours each day, same lifespan, same aging per day.  It's possible, you know, although I've been a pretty slow learner.

For the past 10 days, off and on, we've been scraping, re-glazing and re-painting our second story windows.  After watching me stretch my calves for a couple days and holding on with one hand, while my feet took turns gradually sliding down the slippery copper roof, Karen called our local roofer for suggestions.  He had two.  One, use C-clamps to fasten a couple small boards to the vertical seal where two roof sections meet, then place a ladder or board above the C-clamp contraption.  This worked wonderfully, no more slipping and less need to hold on with one hand.

For extra safety, I wrapped a tie-down around each end of the 2x4 and fastened it to the window shutter hinge base.   Here's a photo of one of the tie-downs.
And here's me in action.
"Enough of that stuff," says Virginia. "What was his other suggestion?"

It was a much better one.  He suggested we buy time -- the time of two of his employees.  They showed up today and nearly finished the job for us. Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment