Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Familiarity

Today I pulled weeds to Ravel's Bolero. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-4J5j74VPw

Some don't like this piece because it's repetitive.  If you think it is, listen closely to Pachelbel's Canon in D and some of the compositions of Philip Glass, such as the film score for Kundun.

The version I heard, in my head, over and over again, was much less interesting than the above link, where you get to see the various instruments take turns.  As the clouds above me slowly changed, I pulled tiny weed after tiny weed.

Bolero and Canon in D and Kundun were perfect accompaniments to my gardening today. Another day I might prefer something else.  Today my mood was slow and contemplative.  I forget what I contemplated.

"I often find myself singing the same phrase over and over," says Virginia.  "I guess I find it comforting."

"Maybe that's it," I say, "comfort from the familiar."

"But familiarity breeds contempt," says Virginia.

"The more we know about someone or something, the less we like them?" I say.

"As a general rule, definitely," says Virginia.  "Once we perceive that someone else is different from us, it's downhill from there."

"We can always hope," I say.  "And when we find something or someone dear, hold on tight."

No comments:

Post a Comment