Monday, September 20, 2010

Puffery

"This unique product is not a luxury - it is a necessity wherever you store or use your valuable instrument. The German-made VENTA Airwasher not only humidifies the air as needed (it will not over humidify), but filters the air from smoke, dust, pollen and odors. It works without filters through the process of cold evaporation - no white dust! Backed by a 10-year limited warranty."

I realize salespeople need to sell their products to make a living, but exaggerations turn me off by tainting the entire experience.  Of all the other things they say, I begin to wonder what I can believe.

When a lawyer does it, I figure he's advocating his client's position.  Same with a politician.  So why do I want more from a salesperson?

"Because you're inconsistent, wishy-washy, and completely unrealistic," says Virginia. "Do you really believe 'truth' exists?"

Karen just handed me a wine cooler made of home-made wine and bought grape juice.  That's the truth.  Am I likely to live longer if I drink 1 to 3 glasses of an alcohol-laced drink every day (than if I don't)?  Maybe.  Who paid for that latest study?

"What bothers me most are the sound bites," says Virginia.  "Some of them sound so good and roll right off the tongue." 

Yes, if you have a good memory, you're a genius....like Rain Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment