Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sharing

Do you know what your wife or husband does?  Could you fill in if she or he were absent?  Sorry singles, you've got a leg up on this one and may want to wait for another blog posting.

In our home, Karen and I have divided the chores in a way that seems to work without giving it much thought (at least, I haven't).  One of our elder friends accuses us of reversed roles, which makes us feel special but isn't quite true because Karen does what I don't want to do, which is what men have been arranging for years, and I like to think Karen thinks I do what she doesn't want to do, which is what women have been arranging for years.

She cooks, cleans house, chases the toilets when they run, repairs lighting fixtures, fixes leaking pipes, mows the lawn, weed-eats, scrapes and repaints, rehangs doors, blah-blah-blah.  If you've been to her blog, you know how handy she is.

Meanwhile, I sit around and read and write, practice piano, run, play in the gardens, try to fill the basement kitchen with vegetables and some fruits for the winter, and do a little stock and bond watching.  Oh heck, you've been to my blog, I don't have to tell you what a girlie slough-off I am.

Anyway, what prompted this to-do was our receipt today of a check in the mail.  A few months ago, Karen's doctor prescribed a pill regime that cost $308.31 at a local pharmacy.  Karen gave me the receipt and I sent it off to our health insurance company with a cover letter.  That's why we received the check today, for $308.31.

"Are you suggesting I wouldn't think of submitting that claim?" asks Virginia.

Maybe.  I almost forgot.  I understand many spouses feel stranded for a while after their spouses disappear.  Many of us have a tendency to do our chores without telling the other what we've done.  While Karen and I typically go about our days fairly independent of each other, we both delight in taking a few moments almost every day to show the other what we've done. 

Too busy?  I understand.  I almost forgot to tell Karen about that check.  Somewhere around here -- now where did I put them? -- are instructions about some of the things I do, just in case.

2 comments:

  1. I have been thinking alot about this lately. John has forgotten a few passwords and similar type things. Things I use more than he does and it makes it difficult for me to do things. I have been thinking it is time to shift a few things we keep track of.
    What is a "girlie slough-off" ? Are there boyie slough-offs? Just checking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mary pannabecker steinerSeptember 12, 2010 at 4:02 PM

    I've been doing the dishes a LOT more lately. That was probably because when I was sick, it was something I could do to make up for all that Fred did for me. Which he did without complaining. I feel pretty lucky. However, I don't think he cleaned the bathroom while I was in the hospital. I think maybe Lindsay did because, like me, she can't stand it when it gets gross. Like you and Karen, we seem to have just settled into our "chores". I remember Fred once telling the girls when they were very little that he didn't care who they married as long as he could vacuum and wash dishes. Do you know that we've never had a dishwasher? I suggest it now and then, but Fred sneers at the idea. Oh well. Love you. mps

    ReplyDelete