Friday, June 25, 2010

Air Conditioning

I refuse to read the article headed "Couple Tries to Sell Child at WalMart."  Give me a break.  Our son would have protested, "Is Bloomingdales or Neiman Marcus too far away?"

It's definitely too hot.  No, I made no promises during cold January and February.  I've always thought cold is better than hot.  You can put on more clothes, but at some point you can't take them off.

All this heat calls for research -- into how to cool our house in an environmentally friendly way.  It won't happen this summer, so maybe this Fall and Winter I'll set aside some time, although by then I may forget about it.  Sort of like pain, when it's over, it's over.

On the other hand, I think I'll have trouble forgetting about getting hotter and hotter running, pulling weeds, hoeing, planting, spreading mulch, reading and not having anywhere to cool off.  Forgive me, I'm being stupid, and forgetful.  We have a pump with cool well water and a creek with a swimming hole.  We should be able to shift that coolness into our house, somehow, and I should be able to find time to jump in.
Oh, by the way, over on the left, that's Elk Cliff, the reason our farm is called Elk Cliff Farm.  Here's another shot.

I'm also being silly.  It's the attitude, stupid.  I seem to be regretting my decision to stumble through the financial reform bill.  If the weather makes me hot, the obfuscation of Congressional verbiage burns me hotter, but I'm gittin' 'er done.  If I didn't pursue this project to make me feel useful, I'd most likely find another one.

We're fortunate our house has a full English basement with a kitchen.  The former owner told us the original dining room was downstairs, which makes sense for two reasons -- cooking in the downstairs kitchen would keep the upstairs cooler and carrying meals up the stairs would be very inconvenient.  Because our bedroom two floors up is a sauna, we're now sleeping in the dining room.  I can bake cookies and pickle beets in my sleep.

"And dream about me," says Virginia.

I roll my eyes.  Sheesh.

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen anyone use the words obfuscation, verbiage and gittin' 'er done in the same sentence. Made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say the same thing, Karen. But then, I'm sure you knew that.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete