Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Peanuts and Potato Pods

Arugula, the presidential salad, is not only for the elite any more.  Our first planting has "bolted" and is preparing to present us seeds for next year's crop.  Why would I call them weeds and pull them out for compost?  I refuse.
Down below the arugula, a couple petunias have volunteered.  I think last year we stuck their parents, the contents of a pot, in the nearby corner.  Something tells me this one has more character...
than Ms. Priss, who probably expected to be named homecoming queen. 
"Sounds like reverse discrimination to me," says Virginia.

"I'm sorry," I say to all you beauties out there, parked between Romaine and, is it, Buttercrunch?

By the way, have you ever seen a peanut plant?  I understand it has two sets of chromosomes, one from each of two different species ("amphidiploid" or "allotetraploid"), and it's not a nut.  Maybe later I'll include a picture showing the flower stalks burying into the ground, where the fruit will form.
Now here's another interesting flower, the potato, and if it's particularly happy...
it will grow into a seed pod that looks like a young tomato.  Maybe next January I'll pop some of the seeds in pots and grow a Pannabecker potato.  I've read they don't grow "true" so maybe I'll develop a new variety, which then can multiply through cloning, the usual method of growing potatoes (cutting the fruit into pieces, two or three "eyes" per piece, and sticking the piece underground).
Here's a rabbit's eye view of some beets...
and a 4-inch beet bulb.
Please, varmints, don't find this Fall's bread, drying, dying brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment