Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Poindexter


Poindexter:  Choose one or more of the following:

(A) A bookish or socially unskilled person.
(B)  Someone who is overtly nerdy, geeky or bookish.
(C) The nerdy young nephew of The Professor, Felix the Cat's archenemy and bad guy scientist.
(D) Deceased U.S. Senator from the State of Washington, former resident ghost of our farmhouse.

I hope that in the future, like today, people who Google, Yahoo, Bing or whatever "Pannabecker" don't find a definition like the first two, although in a weak moment I might admit it would be appropriate.  I'd prefer "an eclectic friend" or something like that.

"Why Poindexter?" Virginia sets me up.

Because Miles Poindexter, sometimes pronounced "pawndextuh," grew up in our house and then moved to Walla Walla, Washington, where he practiced law.  Drawn to Spokane to be a prosecuting attorney and judge, he was elected as a Republican to the U.S. Congress and, in 1910, to the U.S. Senate.  From 1923 to 1928 he served as U.S. Ambassador to Peru, where he was reportedly known for partying and being popular among the fairer sex.  He lost a bid for the U.S. Senate in 1928 and returned to Elk Cliff Farm where he died on September 21, 1946. 

That reminds me.  I must build a classy sign to post near our driveway:  "Elk Cliff Farm."

Since we moved here, several members of the Poindexter family have dropped in.  Today it was Miles Poindexter, III, the original Miles Poindexter's great-great-nephew, returning to Florida after captaining a "rich guy's yacht" to Maine for the summer.

3 comments:

  1. Why would he haunt your house? Actually, he sounds like a pretty fun ghost. J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you possibly put me in touch with Miles, or as we called him in military school, Dex. Dex & I have been friends for 52 years but when I tried to call him his phone has been disconnected.
    My name is David Connelly & I can be reached at 714) 396-6259.
    I would be most grateful!! (I, too, am a "Virginian"!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi colleagues, pleasant post and pleasant urging commented at this place,
    I am genuinely enjoying by these.

    Check out my web site - waist to height ratio ranges

    ReplyDelete